[bookport] Re: USB power

  • From: "Jerry Neufeld" <jerry.neufeld@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2005 03:58:00 -0400

Good morning Larry, Pamela and others at A P H.

Do any of you know how much current drain there is during file downloads?
While one would think it minimal, given the small size of the device and low
battery drain during normal functioning, writing to the flash card and the
circuitry involved clearly involves more power as evident in the drop in
capacity of cells, once a long download has been affected. While we can
continue to discuss the obvious merits of USB-powered devices, it is
somewhat a waste of time until we know whether or not conventional USB ports
are able to sustain 100 percent duty-cycle drains that are high.

Also, forgive me, please, if I make the comment or, more appropriately, ask
the question: how many of us does it take, Larry and others, to convey our
congrats for an excellent product that we don't want to downgrade with the
addition of a lot of ancillary hardware? Let's make an already excellent
reading device even better, entirely bullet-proof, in fact. Let's make the
sleep timer work properly, the reading timer work consistently and get
volume levels symmetrical, to mention only a few outstanding issues. Then,
if there is time, money, no significant increase in size and cost, let's
chat about other features.

I enjoy this list and many of the contributions to it. Somewhere along the
way, we have managed to convey to users that the BookPort, superb as the
device is, is a miracle machine, expected, in the future, to meet everyone's
needs, from high-class MP3 players to sophisticated notetaking devices. When
will this stop?