[bookport] Re: USB power

  • From: Sandy Licht <slicht@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2005 14:41:51 -0500

I remember when I went to Guidedog training 10 years ago...  Everybody had
talking watches.  Watches were a definite necessity.  I had to buy one
myself, but I grew to hate them!  The noise was a downright nuisance!  If
the watches had been synched, it might have been more tolerable.  But...
they weren't!  I'll take a Braille watch any day over a talking one.  When
I need it, I have an external speaker, but that's not my preferred method
of reading.  Can you imagine several blind people in a small room using
their Bookports with internal speakers blaring at the same time?  Believe
me, they would do it, too!  And they would be resentful if someone asked
them to plug in their headphones.

At 12:56 PM 4/8/2005, you wrote:
>Will makes an excellent point about a private reading appliance gaining
>the potential to become a public nuisance. After what I've seen over the
>years with talking watches, calculators, etc., being used in marginally
>or completely inappropriate settings, I feel even less persuaded that a
>speaker is a good idea. The BP is still primarily a reading system, not
>a notetaker, so for those who feel that they need speech to fully
>exercise its notetaking functionality, I say that ear buds or folding
>headphones are the way to go.=20

Sandy Licht
Phone: 409-898-8218
Jeremiah 29:11 - 14A
are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope.
12In those days when you pray, I will listen. 13If you look for me in earnest,
you will find me when you seek me. 14I will be found by you," says the
LORD...