[bookport] Re: USB Failure Related to Book Port

  • From: Sandy Licht <slicht@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 20:31:20 -0500

Roy, reboot your computer with your BP connected. Sometimes this works. Disconnect everything else connected to your USB ports. Then connect the Bookport.

Also... the Bookport won't transfer texts larger than 4MB. I believe that is the correct size. If not, someone on list will correct me. At 08:15 PM 8/24/2005, you wrote:

Operation errors associated with transferring files into my new Book Port have resulted in the following difficulties:
1. Message from Book Port saying the file which had started to be transferred was too large to continue being transferred.

2. After a certain amount of fumbling around, I decided to disconnect the Book Port from the computer and try to free additional space. After this, the Book Port would not function in any way; even the reset (2+B) would not work, so I reset by removing and replacing the batteries.

3. After that, I began to selectively remove files, and in the process hit some combination on the keypad that apparently wiped out everything. Now, there are no files to be read, but everything else seems normal.

4. Following is the message I get each time the Book Port is plugged into the computer:

USB Device Not Recognized
One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it. The location of the device is shown in bold type.

{Sighted help indicated that a diagram showed a root hub with 2 branches. One branch was marked unused and the other, in bold type, unknown device }

Recommendation
Try reconnecting the device. If Windows still does not recognize it, replace the device.

5. After going into settings, control panel, system, device manager and determining that the USB port showed no fault, I first uninstalled and reinstalled the USB port without benefit, then uninstalled and reinstalled the Book Port program This gave me the same message as before, but this time I did the trouble shooting in device manager with the Book Port connected and got the additional information that an unrecognized device was connected to one of the 2 USB connections.

The above story may not be complete, but it is the best I can do. As I continue to work on the problem, I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has anything to offer as a comment.

Sincerely,

Roy Pfeiffer

Sandy Licht
Phone: 409-898-8218