[bookport] Re: USB 1 vs 2 cables

  • From: "Jerry Neufeld" <jerry.neufeld@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 9 Oct 2004 08:53:55 -0400

Good morning Scott.

The device near the end of your u s b cable is, very probably, a ferrite
choke, designed to limit interference to or from other devices or sources.
It does not affect the functionality of the cable whatsoever. Standard u s b
2 cables differ from u s b 1 cables in that most have more shielding around
them and increased spacing between the conductors that, so it is said,
enhances vastly greater data transfer speeds.

Cheers,

Jerry