[bookport] Time to eat crow

  • From: "Neal Ewers" <ewers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bookport" <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 08:29:58 -0500

Well now, if you all remember several months ago when we were talking
about synthesizers to be used on the Book Port, I came out as a
staunch Eloquence supporter.  In the last months, I have read many
books using the double talk speech already in the book port.  Perhaps
it's just that I have gotten used to it, but I actually think there is
more.

My guess is that Larry, Rob, and company have tweaked the double talk
speech to make it much better than it is in other computer settings.
I find that when I go back and read some of the same books with
Eloquence, I don't like them nearly as much.  The double talk comes
closer to the intonation of human speech to my ear than does the
Eloquence.  Of course, that's a personal taste thing, and I am sure
that others will disagree and rightly so.

Secondly, I use Eloquence all day long at Trace to do my work.  Thus,
using it for pleasure sounds exactly like reading things I read at
work.  It's nice to have a separate synthesizer for work and another
one for reading such things as I read on the book port.

So, Now that I have that off my chest, I just want to say thanks to
all who have worked on this for giving us a great product.  I now hope
that the double talk will remain a part of the book port family even
if the choice of other synthesizers is still there.

By the way, Crow tastes quite good.
Neal