[bookport] Re: Thoughts on the Beta

  • From: "ROB MEREDITH" <rmeredith@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2006 11:09:26 -0400

Nolan:

I don't have any idea what is going on with Real Speech. I don't have
it; perhaps someone else here at APH does.

As for your perception about MP3 encoding being slower, well, it is.
So, you are accurately perceptive. We had to encode with a better
quality setting for these TTS engines; they just didn't sound good
enough the old way.

Rob Meredith

>>> Nolan.Crabb@xxxxxxxxxx 04/03/06 10:47AM >>>
Having used the transfer software beta throughout the weekend, I'm
weighing in with what I hope the APH staff will take as merely
reflections or commentary on my part rather than carping, whining
criticism.  I don't actually have anything but phrase for APH and its
efforts regarding the Book Port.  That said, here are my thoughts:

First, regarding the audio send feature:  This is a magnificent idea,
but I never really could get it to work.  I have the Real Speech
Jennifer voice on my PC, for example.  It indeed shows up in the list,
but never did I get it to work with the test speech button.  Not sure
what I'm doing wrong.  But I'm certain it's an issue with my PC, not
the
transfer software, so again, just commenting, not being
inappropriately
or reflexively critical.  The audio send feature found some L and H
voices I didn't know I had--both were kind of creepy sounding.  Of
course, the Microsoft Sam voice worked, but who wants to listen to
that?

Second, it seems that the MP3 conversions take longer to do.  I've no
concrete proof of this.  Alas, I never timed a conversion before I
downloaded the beta, so I don't really know for a fact whether it's
taking longer.  If that's all in my head, no problem.  I'm referring
here to what I call the fourth segment of the transfer
process--there's
the decoding segment, the compression segment, the marking phrases
segment, then the converting to MP3 segment, all of which occurs
before
the final segment--sending.  It is during this so-called fourth
segment
of the process where I seem to notice a bit of a slow-down from
previous
versions.  Again, that's nothing more than flaky unreliable perception
on my part.  I'm mostly sending converted NLS audio into the Book
Port.
They start off as 24-KBPS mono MP3 files which average in size about
140
meg or so--not even absolutely certain on that.  The up side is that
the
MP3 files that ultimately appear on the Book Port seem a bit smaller
or
more compact.  That, too, probably is a figment of my imagination, but
they do seem more compact.  I should explain here that I'm using
speech
compression at about 2.4, which is going to compact the final file
naturally.  But even so, it does seem like that final file is smaller
than it might have been before the download of the beta.  Again,
probably not so.  Don't you just love unsupported perceptions?

The quality of the final file transferred to the Book Port is as
excellent as ever, of course.  The software works as advertised, and
it
continues to uphold a grand APH tradition of excellence.  I would love
to solve the mystery of why Real Speech Jen and her sister from across
the pond, Jane, won't speak.  You'd think a guy who raised four
daughters would be used to having women do the whole silent treatment
thing, <smile> but adolescent moodiness I can deal with; digital
conspiratorial rudeness--that's something else again!

Best Wishes,

Nolan

P.S.:  If you're in the Columbia, Missouri area next Monday and want
see a presentation on Book Port and some alternative uses I've found,
drop by the Power-Up conference hosted by the Missouri Assistive
Technology Program.  I won't be discussing any of the beta features,
but
I'll be demonstrating things that most folks on the list already
know--getting Web-braille files, downloading and transferring podcasts
using Juice and the transfer software, and some alternative
uses--transferring text-based contacts and text-based calendar
information just in case I need a backup way of looking at those
things,
and more.  For information on the conference, visit

http://www.at.mo.gov/Powerup2006/powerup.shtm

CONFIDENTIALITY STATEMENT:  This electronic communication is from the
Department of Social Services (DSS) and is confidential, privileged, and
intended only for the use of the recipient named above.  If you are not
the intended recipient or agent responsible for delivering the
information to the intended recipient, unauthorized disclosure, copying,
distribution or use of the contents of this transmission is strictly
prohibited.  If you have received this transmission in error, please
notify the sender and delete all copies from your system.