[bookport] Re: The Cost of Improvement

  • From: "Scott Howell" <n3byy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2005 20:00:11 -0400

Let me clarify my observation so there's no confusion. Flash cards and
in particular compact flash cards have not come down in price as much as
similar technologies and including hard drives. I never said they have
not come down, but they have not come down as much. In other words with
similar flash technology and hard drives,, you get more bang for you
buck with hard drives and other flash technologies. As you stated below,
in 2003 you found a 2Gb card for $135 and now you state that in 2005 you
can get the same card for under $110. I agree this is perhaps true, but
I can get 40Gb of drive storage for under $100 in a notebook form. Also
I do understand and have not checked the price, but there is a drive
built into a compact flash card that is a 4 or 5Gb in size. Apparently
this even uses less current than a cf card. Sounds mighty interesting.