[bookport] Re: The Cost of Improvement

  • From: James Nuttall <jnuttallphd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2005 06:14:58 -0700 (PDT)

OK. I'll let the BookPort wash my cloths. The trend in the computer electronics
field is for convergence. Many separate items merging into one. I suppose the
problem is the market for the blind is a small one. For the life of me I don't
know why a PDA for the blind should cost $1000 or more. A sighted person can
buy an inexpensive Zire for $100. So, yest I would love to have a Book Port PDA
for the same price. One can always wish. When I went through colelege and had
volunteers read everything to me, (showing my age here--grin), I could not have
dreamed that a machine like the Book Port could even exist. I figure give them
10 years and we will all be surprised what the Book Port will do.
Jim Nuttall

David Allen <wd8ldy@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Scott and list:

I perhaps mistakenly thought you were asking for the name of the card type
that is smaller than Compact Flash. I answered suggesting it was SD. The
only place that I'm aware of their being used so far in the blind field is
in the Braillenote Mpower where they work very well. The other comment I
made was a reference to those who would have bookport do everything but wash
their clothes (well maybe even that) while staying at it's currently
reasonable price, etc.

Cheers,
Dave