[bookport] Re: The Book Port from a Sighted Person'sPerspective

  • From: peter.rand@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2005 06:22:12 -0600

I didn't realize the shuffle had text-to-speech and worked with digital
talking books, does note taking with a braille keyboard, records memos,
or supports the interchange of memory cards.

That's right. Before I purchased the Book Port, I gave serious consideration to the iPod, but aside from sleekness of design and sheer memory, the Book Port won on every other issue - better sound quality, far superior battery life (100 hours vs. maybe 10 hours), less cumbersome user interface, greater flexibility with regard to content type, phrase detection in audio books, Spydering capabilities, you name it. Most sighted folk don't know what they're missing.

So a comparison of the Book Port and an iPod is not fair - that is, not fair to the iPod, which is basically a small hard disk that plays music files for a few hours before it needs to be recharged. The Book Port is simply in a category by itself, which a casual observer will never be able to comprehend.

Peter

coconut@xxxxxxx Thursday, July 07, 2005 9:04:56 PM >>>
Everyone who sees my BP thinks it is a television remote from about 1980. When they hear what it does, they mumble something about a
Shuffle doing more in 1/10th the space. Beings as I use the BP only for audio

because I cannot abide the Doubletalk synth, I agree, but it was a
gift, so I use it happily.

Dan