[bookport] Re: THANK YOU GUYS!

  • From: DanFlasar@xxxxxxx
  • To: bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2005 14:28:33 EST

I lost most of my central vision 10 years ago.  Though I can still  visually
read, it is painfully slow and not always accurate.  I jumped to  talking
books, OCR, Kurzweil 1000, JAWS and now the bookport successively.   What a
great
time to lose your vision!  I've always been an excellent  writer and speller
but I've noticed an alarming frequency of typos over the  years.  I used to
visually check what I typed as I typed but I can't do  this very well anymore -
it slows me down too much.  Secondly, since I no  longer read newspapers -
visually - there are a lot of words, especially proper  names - that I never
'see'.  Secondly, I've been finding that I've  forgotten a lot of correct
spellings.  I'm so surprised that the act of  visual reading provided me with a
constant reminder of how words are  spelled.  I, too, try to use the spell
checker or
at least have JAWS read  the text back to me so I can proof it that way.
    And it doesn't help that the level of literacy in formal  writing is
declining.
Dan