[bookport] Re: THANK YOU GUYS!

  • From: "Walt Smith" <walt@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 21:17:59 -0500

Actually, I don't entirely agree that it's simply a matter of visually
appealing controls. Television, the plague of the twentieth century, has led
directly to an entire generation of people who are too lazy, illiterate, or
ignorant to be bothered having to learn much of anything that's not largely
visual in its presentation. Yes, the Internet has contributed to this and
shouldn't escape blame, but the problem was there long before and has only
been exacerbated. Witness the replacement of clearly worded statements with
these mindlessly stupid symbols like a cigarette with a slash through it to
indicate and replace "No smoking."