[bookport] Re: THANK YOU GUYS!

  • From: "Richard Ring" <ring.richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 15:51:16 -0600

It is not  even a criticism, it is rather an observation.
Consider the world as it is, consider that there once was a time when
one could get a manual for a product, and there would be text.
Paragraphs explaining the functions of a device.  Now, a manual has few
words and many pictures.  I base what I say on empirical evidence that
is easily documented.
This doesn't mean that it's inherently a bad thing, but it does pose
huge problems for those who cannot see well enough to take advantage of
the sweeping changes that are happening.
There are more and more appliances that cannot be used by a blind
person.  I have a stereo that I needed sighted assistance to set up, I
have never had to get such assistance for something as straight-forward
as a stereo before.
Of course there's nothing wrong with using ones senses, however, it
would seem that more and more aspects of every day life are becoming
visual to the exclusion of everything else.  My land lord decided this
past summer to install a new air conditioner.  Frankly, the old one was
working fine.  This one has a touch screen with pretty icons.  The only
reason I was able to use it at all was because it had a remote control
as well.  I have to admit, it was amusing to learn that even air
conditioners have remote controls!