[bookport] Re: Synthesizers

  • From: "Aman Singer" <aman@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 09:55:33 -0400

Hi, Larry and all.
        I'd be happy with retaining Doubletalk, or using Eloquence, but
would be overjoyed to have Dectalk on the BP. I use Dectalk for all my
reading in Kurzweil, and would love to have it as a portable option.
        I have two suggestions, if I may make them. First, I would ask that
very human-sounding synthesizers, like AT&T Natural Voices and Neospeech be
avoided, not only because they need resources, but because they would make
really fast reading on the BP somewhat difficult. This is probably an
idiosyncrasy of how I use the machine (I'm a student and want to get through
as much material as possible in as short a time as possible with as much
comprehension as possible), but I also think it might apply to anyone who
uses the BP to read material where speed and comprehension are key. In my
experience, the faster an almost human voice goes, the worse it is.
        Secondly, would it be possible to have several synthesizers for the
BP? Perhaps people could specify the one they want at the time of ordering
or, and I would imagine this would be more difficult than it might be worth,
people could flash synthesizers as they now flash firmware.
        Aman