[bookport] Re: Synthesizers

  • From: "Neal Ewers" <ewers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 08:53:03 -0500

Larry, I would cast my vote for Eloquence for two reasons.

1.  It is the synthesizer used for both JAWS and Window-Eyes.  It is
also used in Home Page Reader.  Actually, Home Page Reader uses Via
Voice which is really Eloquence.  So, if you are trying to find a
synthesizer that is used by a large number of screen reader users, I
believe it would be eloquence.

2.  I find that I like to read many things at about 700 words per
minute.  I have yet to find a synthesizer that is better than
Eloquence for high speed reading.  The Dectalk seems to slur words
together at that speed, but I suspect you might do some magic with the
Dectalk to make it better than it is on my computer.  I just find that
Eloquence seems to flow much better at high speeds.  Obviously this is
my subjective opinion with which others are free to disagree.  After
all, that's one reason we have this listserv.

I know there are a lot of people on this list who use the bookport and
have gotten used to the Triple Talk synthesizer.  However, I believe
there is a very large population of Eloquence users out there as well.
Just my thoughts.
Neal