[bookport] Re: Synthesizers

  • From: "Mary Otten" <maryotten@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 13:41:29 -0500

Larry,
Of the synthesizers mentioned, I much prefer the doubletalk, and that includes
over keynote, which,  while phonemically accurate, sounds so mechanical as to
put me completely off. I have access to software dectalk
and to via voice and eloquence, but still prefer triple talk pci. Other than
the subjective quality, what are the other considerations? I've always heard
that the disadvantage to things like dectalk software or eloquence
is that they do require memory, whereas the speech chip, being self contained,
does not. I would think that the responsiveness of the bp would be negatively
affected with a software synthesizer. That is certainly the
case with my pc, which has plenty of ram and a 2.2ghz processor. And what about
battery drain? Would the present chip drain more or less from the battery?
Mary