[bookport] Re: Suggestion for Manual Change

  • From: Andrew Hart <ahart@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 15:22:26 -0400

That would seem to fit the bill perfectly!

Cheers,
Andrew.

At 15:14 19-04-2006, you wrote:
OK, how about a statement in that section of the manual along the
following lines?

Note that the policies and regulations for some of the resources listed
in this section of the manual may differ depending on your country of
residence.  You may wish to check with the specific organization to
insure that the services described are available in your country.  Note,
too, that this list is far from comprehensive.  This section lists only
a snapshot of what kind of material is available.  There may be others
not listed here.

>>> ahart@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Wednesday, April 19, 2006 2:25:55 PM >>>
I would agree with these sentiments.  However, what Larry says is
right too.  There's no need for APH to keep a track of the policies
of different organizations.  This would be asking too much.

However, given that many sources of e-texts do have restrictive
policies and conditions on the services they offer, and since the BP
manual is providing a list of sources of material suitable for
downloading to  the BP, I believe that this warrants the inclusion of
a note informing the user that the materials made available by some
of these organisations may only be available to US citizens or
residents and that the user should consult the respective
organizations for further information about their elligibility to
receive such services.

I can't see how APH could get into trouble recommending this.  It
seems like good advice and prewarns new users that not all the listed
sources are necessarily going to be available to them.  And finally,
it only requires a single edit to the manual.

Cheers,
Andrew.