[bookport] Re: Subscriptions & Other Book Sources!

  • From: Monica Willyard <rhyami@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2007 23:42:34 -0500

Hi, Deborah. Bookshare has launched its international service, and they have just expanded the number of available books for international users. You can browse the website before joining Bookshare, and you can use Bookshare's international search feature to find books that you could access with a subscription. The Book Port works well with both the daisy and Braille forms of books downloaded from Bookshare. HarperCollins has just given Bookshare broad permission to allow international readers access to their paperbacks that are part of the Bookshare collection. To find out about all of this, visit http://www.bookshare.org/web/AboutInternationalMembership.html

As for WebBraille, I don't know how or if it works with people from Canada. I only know about Bookshare because I'm a volunteer there and have attended a couple of meetings where Jim Fruchterman told us how things are working with international expansion. I hope this helps you.

Monica Willyard