[bookport] Sporadic Jumping Backward While Reading With Speech

  • From: "Jeremiah Z. Rogers" <jzr@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2004 15:11:12 -0500

Hi lady and fellow book porters. Throughout the year I've had the Book
Port, while reading braille files, the unit has very occasionally, but
consistently, been reading along just fine and jumped backward a couple
hundred words. It doesn't appear to happen at breaks in sentence,
paragraph, etc., and I'm not able to determine whether it jumps backward
the same amount of text or not, though I do believe it is pretty close to
the same distance each time. This past weekend, however, I read John
Feinstein's excellent chronical of the 1996-1997 ACC basketball season
entitled A March to Madness, the braille copy of which I downloaded from
BookShare. This book was full of instances wherein the machine would back
up a few hundred words while reading. I'm using firmware 1.2.0.0 and the
latest transfer tool, but this behavior has survived several firmware and
transfer tool incarnations. Do others experience this? Does APH know what
the problem is, or how I can prevent it? Many thanks.

Jeremiah