[bookport] Re: Sluggishness with too many books in a folder

  • From: Sandy Licht <slicht@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2005 22:14:34 -0500

How large a file is the troublesome book?  I have been told the BP doesn't
like books over 4 megabytes in size.

At 01:10 PM 4/30/2005, you wrote:
>Rob,
>
>Thanks for the clear explanation of what is going on when a folder contains
>too many files and one experiences sluggishness in reading/navigation.  This
>certainly seems to explain most of what is going on.
>
>However, there still seems to be something unexplained in the behavior I am
>seeing with my Bookport.
>
>I already performed the test you describe in item 4 (below.  Here is what I
>did in detail:
>
>1.      I had a folder, lets call it folder "A", with about 32 books in it.
>They were all DAISY formatted books downloaded from Bookshare.
>
>2.      The last 3 books in folder "A" exhibited the sluggish performance
>you describe.
>
>3.      I deleted all but 8 books in folder "A", including one of the last 3
>books which exhibited the sluggish performance.  This book was a book about
>Enron, so, lets call it the Enron book.
>
>4.      I re-downloaded the Enron book from Bookshare and used the Bookport
>Transfer program to put it into folder "A" again.  Now, folder "A" contains
>9 books, with the Enron book being number 9.
>
>5.      I noted that the Enron book in folder "A" still exhibited the
>sluggish performance (and was surprised).
>
>6.      Thinking that the Enron book itself might be the problem, I created
>a new folder, call it folder "B", at the same level (root) as folder "A".  I
>used the Bookport Transfer program to put the newly downloaded copy of the
>Enron book into folder "B".  Thus, folder "B" now contains only the Enron
>book.
>
>7.      The Enron book in folder "B" does not exhibit the sluggish
>performance when reading/navigating.  Thus, the Enron book itself does not
>appear to be the cause of the sluggish performance.
>
>8.  Now I am checking to see what files are actually in folder "A".  I
>mis-spoke - One of the books is actually a one volume BRF file from NLS -
>the rest are DAISY from Bookshare.
>
>9.      Using Windows Explorer to see what is in folder "A", I see 28 files
>for the 9 books I have in the folder (including the *.aa files you described
>below).

>sluggishness with the Enron book.  When the Enron book is in a folder by
>itself, there is no sluggishness.
>
>Now you and Larry indicated that when one gets on the order of 30 books in a
>particular folder the user will experience sluggishness.  Is this like
>falling off a cliff or does the sluggishness slowly get worse with the
>number of books in a particular folder?  Thus, would you expect the
>sluggishness with 9 books in a folder to be about 1/3 as much as when there
>are 27 books in a folder?  Maybe the sluggishness I'm still experiencing
>with 9 books in the folder is actually less than what I remember when there
>were 30 books in the folder.  My next experiment will be to delete all but
>the Enron book from this folder and test the versions in folders "a" and
> [...]

Sandy Licht
Phone: 409-898-8218
Jeremiah 29:11 - 14A
are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope.
12In those days when you pray, I will listen. 13If you look for me in earnest,
you will find me when you seek me. 14I will be found by you," says the
LORD...