[bookport] Re: Send to BookPort issue

  • From: David Chan <chandtw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 21:21:38 -0700

Then, may I ask, how many upgrades to your computer have you done in the last 7 years to enable it to run Windows XP, while I am still running on my old 386 with 64M of RAM which I bought back in the 80's? I have to admit I did upgrade the motherboard and memory ONCE so I could run some Windows-based statistical program for school...

Windows can be secure, yes, depending on your set up. So, in order to make it secure we run a hardware firewall, virus scan on the proxy server (running UNIX of course), a software firewall and virus scan on the desktopat work...

There is always some learning involved when you switch to a new environment, yes, but I do not think learning linux is any harder than learning DOS way back when and learning Windows when you decided to switch. Consider this: there is a command-line command hiding behind every icon on your Windows desktop - just because you don't see (or hear) it doesn't mean it is not there. (and, of course, linux also has icons but I am sure you already know this right?)

I didn't say everyone should switch to linux right this moment, blind or sighted, but it is actually coming to a theater near you in the not-so-distant future...

--David

At 05:44 PM 9/28/2005 -0400, you wrote:
Only if you're a tech weenie. I'm sick and tired of reading on some other
lists and from a person who shall remain nameless since she's not a Book
Port owner that every blind person should migrate immediately to Linux.
There's simply too much technical administrative knowledge that a Linux
system user must possess that most blind users will never master and don't
want to master. Also, the idea of going back to a command line interface is
simply unacceptable for many of us. I say all this having once been a true
DOS bigot, resisting the Windows trend with every ounce of energy I then had
and now that I've used Windows for the past seven years, you couldn't pull
me back into that environment for anything.

The supposedly big selling points for Linux are its security and stability.
First of all, properly run, Windows is as secure as it gets. I've used
Windows for, as I said, seven years and always in a high speed connection
that's always running when my computer is powered up and I have never had a
malicious penetration of my system. I have never had a virus. It's called
safe computing. I'm running Windows XP SP 2 and it doesn't get any more
stable, either. There's just no incentive whatever for me to ever want to
consider Linux, except that as something of a geek, I think it might be fun
to play around with, but not for serious work.