[bookport] Re: Saving Settings when Changing Batteries

  • From: buhrow@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Brian Buhrow)
  • To: bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 23:23:21 -0800

        Hello.  Well, here's how it could make a difference.  Most disposable
alkali batteries emit 1.5 volts, while many rechargable batteries emit 1.25
volts.  1.25 X 2 = 2.5 while 1.5 x 2 = 3.0 volts.  The difference of .5
volts could mean the difference between the little capacitor which retains
the clock settings having enough power to keep a sane number in the clock
register and not.  For the past 6 months I've been using rechargable
batteries exclusively.  When I change the batteries, even if I use the DEF
command, the clock reverts to May 2005, which is the release date on the
firmware I'm running.  Last week, I used disposable alkali batteries while
I was traveling, and I had occasion to  take out the batteries momentarily.
During that battery change, the clock retained its setting.  Given the
seemingly random nature of whether the clock is preserved across battery
changes or not that users of this list seem to report, I began to wonder
what was different between my rechargable batteries and my alkali
batteries.  The voltage difference seemed to be the most likely culprit.
Also, since people had reported different experiences with the same
firmware revisions, I began to speculate that those who's clocks were
preserved across battery changes were probably using alkali batteries,
while those who were having the same trouble as me were not.  Someone on
this list said they were using Rayovak rechargables and their clock was
preserved.  I believe that's still consisten with my theory, as I'm
reasonably certain that the Rayovak batteries, specifically, say they emit
1.5 volts, as opposed to their 1.25 volt cousins.
-Brian
On Feb 10,  8:04pm, "Walt Smith" wrote:
} Subject: [bookport] Re: Saving Settings when Changing Batteries
} Your friend is almost certainly wrong. I can't see how the type of battery
} could possibly make any difference insofar as the BP retaining its settings.
}