[bookport] Re: Request for next version

  • From: "Richard Ring" <ring.richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 14:23:41 -0600

Bravo!

-----Original Message-----
From: bookport-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:bookport-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Sarah Cranston
Sent: Thursday, December 16, 2004 2:09 PM
To: bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [bookport] Re: Request for next version

James,

There have been many suggestions made on this list which have been not =
=3D
only considered, but implemented. =3D20
Here are a few, taken directly from the "what's new" option in the =3D
transfer tool:

the Help command accessed with the E key.
subsection movement commands.
Announces the current sentence or heading in audio files when you use =
=3D
the navigation commands while the unit is idle.
=3DA0Removes the "Previous Folder" entries from folders.
=3DA0Modifies the First File and Last File commands so you may also move =
=3D
to the first and last folder in your list of files.
=3DA0Adds a means of entering text to find using a braille keyboard.
=3DA0Changes the behavior of files where the reading position is at the =
=3D
end of the file. The unit now resets a file's position back to the =3D
beginning of the file if you press the Read command while at the end of
=3D
the file or if Auto File Advance moves to a file where the reading =3D
position is at the end.
=3DA0Changes the Status command to provide only the percentage of the =
file
=3D
read.
=3DA0Protects from accidental recording by requiring the user to hold =
the
=3D
E key down for one beep to record a memo.
=3DA0Adds the Lock Beep command to the menu to let you turn off the =3D
behavior of making keys beep when you press one of them while the unit =
=3D
is locked.
=3DA0Corrects a problem where pausing a memo during recording could =
cause
=3D
unpredictable behavior.
=3DA0Adds support for files from audible.com
=3DA0Adds the Page Number status and command to the Book Port menu.
=3DA0Increases the range of the volume command. Now, the volume gets =
much
=3D
lower than in previous versions.
=3DA0Corrects the problem where the unit displayed undesirable behavior =
if
=3D
the user pressed a key or connected the unit to the PC while the =3D
double-beep shutdown sound was in progress.
=3DA0Corrects the Automatic File Advance function.
=3DA0Corrects all known issues with marks.
=3DA0Corrects an issue with the Save Settings command where the command =
=3D
did not save the proper time.
=3DA0Corrects an issue with not having the clock set and using the =
Record
=3D
Memo button to create a memo. Book Port uses the date and time to name =
=3D
the memos you record, so it is necessary to set the clock before using =
=3D
the memo feature. In previous versions of the firmware, the unit moved =
=3D
you to the memos folder before checking the time. Now, if the clock is =
=3D
not set, Book Port says "Clock Not Set" and leaves you where you were =
=3D
when you pressed the Memo key.
=3DA0Announces the firmware's version number when you reset the unit.

These are all firmware modifications, most of the suggestions I see on =
=3D
this list have to do with changing the firmware.
I by no means agree with every suggestion I read about on the list.  Are
=3D
you saying that, if another list member disagrees with me, then I have =
=3D
been "shot down"?  I whole-heartedly disagree with this reasoning.  =3D
Perhaps you haven't been on the list for long enough to realize this, =
=3D
but the people at APH are doing everything in their power to make the =
=3D
BookPort the best device it can be.  Some of the suggestions that have =
=3D
been made are just plain not feasible.  Some other suggestions just =3D
haven't been taken as of yet.
Before you tell Dale, or anyone else, not to post, consider all the =3D
suggestions that haven't been "shot down".

Dale, keep those ideas coming.  Everyone might not agree with them, but
=3D
we all have the right to suggest things.
Just my two-and-a-half cents.  I'll go crawl back into my BookPort now.

Sarah