[bookport] Re: Relative volume between text and mp3

  • From: "Neal Ewers" <ewers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 08:48:22 -0600

Larry, when I received my new book port, I put some MP3 files on the
unit and played them back.  I noticed that they sounded distorted even
when using good powered speakers and with the volume of the book port
considerably low.  The files were normalized to 0 on Sound Forge and
there was no clipping of the sound.  The bottom line is that when I
try to play an MP3 file that is close to 0 db, it sounds distorted on
the book port. Even some of the books I have downloaded from Audible
such as Bill Clinton's book, sounds distorted.  That could simply be
the quality of the book.  However, the files I am talking about are
ones I created which are well within the non-distorted range of audio
and still play back as a bit distorted on the book port.  So, I'm
wondering if this suggests a slight lowering of the audio level
relative to the synthesized speech?

Just my observations.
Neal