[bookport] Reconnecting...Long Past Due

  • From: "Crabb, Nolan" <Nolan.Crabb@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 13:58:57 -0600

Bob,

I can't thank you enough for writing to the Book port list to invite me
to write you privately.  It's something I've been meaning to do and
wanting to do for a great long time now, and I'm truly grateful to you
for giving me the opportunity.

You asked what I'm doing these days.  Ah, long story, but in the
interest of preserving your sanity, I'll keep it relatively quick and
mostly painless.  <smile>

I'm currently working in Missouri as the adaptive technology trainer for
staff and clients of the rehab agency here.  I discovered some years ago
that I thoroughly loved teaching others and watching the difference new
knowledge makes.  It's way less stressful than was the Braille Forum
gig, and I'm way glad that one's behind me.

I love what I do here.  There's some detective work when someone calls
with a problem that I've not seen before.  Finding the solution is more
fun than frustrating.  And then, providing training...watching lives
change as people implement what you've taught...well, who better than
you to understand the fulfillment in that, I suppose.

Bob, there's something I've always wanted to say to you and never
did...and it reflects badly on me--the fact that I've not done so.

Many years ago, when you were on the ACB board of directors, you were
the engine and the catalyst behind the procurement of health insurance
for my children at ACB's expense.  I don't know if you remember that,
but I've never forgotten, and I've never stopped being grateful.  The
huge regret I have is that I never found you privately to say thanks.
Your personal efforts that day in that meeting did much to improve my
life and the lives of my family.  As     said, any time in those years
when one of them got hurt or sick, I silently expressed heart-felt
thanks for Bob Acosta and the courage required to help people make a
difficult decision.  As I said, I am saddened by the fact that I waited
this many years to tell you thanks.

I once asked Pat Price whether she thought you'd mind if I contacted
you.  She said you'd probably welcome the contact, but I guess I let the
self doubt creep in, and I questioned frankly whether you'd even
remember me at all.  So I let that urge go the way of all good
intentions, sadly enough.

So when you wrote and asked me to write you privately, I knew I
desperately needed to extend a most grateful hand of thanks and
fellowship.  I guess none of us know the degree to which decisions we
help influence can make positive differences in the lives of others.
That was certainly true in your case where that decision over health
insurance was concerned.  I'm not sure I would have survived life in
Washington economically without the benefits of that decision, and I've
long appreciated your courage. =20

As to the family, they're all mostly grown.  One of the four girls is
married and studying journalism at BYU.  I've tried to talk her out of
it, knowing how little the business pays, but she must have seen
something of the intrinsic rewards it offers, so my persuasion has
always been pretty half-hearted.  The truth is, I'm thrilled that she's
going in that direction.  She's had several things published both in the
student newspaper and on the BYU radio system.  She's already a far
better writer than her old man ever was.  <smile>

The youngest child, who was born a month after we got to Washington, is
now almost 15.  that's hard even for me to believe, but true just the
same.

I hope you're well, and of course, it's good to see your name on the
Book Port list.  Thanks again for writing.  I'm genuinely honored and
pleased to make this reconnection.

Kindest Regards,
Nolan

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:  This e-mail is intended only=20
for its addressee and may contain information that is=20
legally privileged, confidential, or otherwise protected from=20
disclosure pursuant to DSS Communications Policy 3-
404.  If you have received this communication in error,=20
please notify me immediately by e-mail and delete the=20