[bookport] Reasons why BP's die?

  • From: Peter Rand <peter.rand@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2005 14:50 +0100

Like me, a number of people have unfortunately experienced the sudden,
catastrophic and disappointing failure of their Book Ports. APH says this
happens from time to time, and they have no idea why.

I would like to help APH figure out why Book Ports fail occasionally, which
would help APH to reduce their warranty expenses, and also help users by
providing them with more reliable machines.

Perhaps if we pool our various experiences, we can figure out why our Book
Ports sometimes die so suddenly.

Mine died while connected to my computer with the USB cable, while I was
trying to download the new firmware.

A year or two ago I recall that there was a rash of failures of Palm
handheld computers, which they finally discovered was due to some sort of
static discharge through the USB cable. In fact, they eventually called
this problem "S.U.D.S.", for 'Sudden USB Death Syndrome".

Could the Book Port, like the Palm, be susceptible to some kind of deadly
static discharge through the USB cable?

I am curious what others think.

Peter