[bookport] Radio for the BP

  • From: "Bruce Lamden" <bruce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2005 10:02:05 -0000

OK.

I kicked this question off and there has been a very interesting response
(I'm even responding to myself here).

The idea I had of building a radio into the BP and using the current user
interface (see below) would require a digital tuner. This way the BP would
be physically unchanged but it would require a lot of software development.
However. My experience with pocket radios is that analogue ones are better
to use when travelling than digital ones because they are quicker to retune.
The way to get round this issue is to use RDS, but that is expensive. I
think I am against this on cost grounds.

To add an analogue radio would require the addition of a thumbwheel (or some
such mechanism) to do the tuning. Intuitively it doesn't seem right to add
an analogue tuner to a digital device, but I am undecided.

Of course. I may have all of this wrong.

Bruce.