[bookport] Re: Quick for the Ears

  • From: "MICHAEL MCCARTY" <mmccarty@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 08:48:32 -0400

Sorry about that, I was curious if that was going to work after looking
at the link.  Well, here's the article.

Fred's Head Database

Table with 3 columns and 5 rows
Record Display

TITLE

Music, screen reader, and one set of headphones
RECORD #

1096

TEXT

table end

Do you share an office with others, and want to listen to your personal
CD player, or maybe the radio but only have one set of headphones? If
you're like
me, you don't want to have the audio from the radio in one ear, and
your screen reader's output in the other. Well, I have a cure for your
lack of entertainment
while at work, just follow these steps and you'll be jammin' in no
time!
List of 13 items
1. You'll need a cable to connect to the sound card of your computer.
This cable can be purchased from Radio Shack, or any good electronics
store. The cable
should have a quarter inch male jack on each end. This is the same jack
that you find on the end of most portable audio player headphones, or
ear buds.
2. Connect one end of this cable to your computer's "line in" port on
your sound card. You may need some sighted assistance with this, or just
use the old
trial and error method.
3. Set the volume of your portable device. Take note that you should
not turn the device up too loud, you will have headphones on to listen
to the audio
when we're finished. Leave the audio on as you proceed to the next
step.
4. Click the "start" button on your computer and hit "p" until you get
to either "programs" or "all programs".
5. Click on "accessories".
6. Click on "entertainment".
7. Click on "Volume".
8. You'll now be in the volume control panel of your computer. This is
where you can check the various levels of your sound card's output. Feel
free to
look through the various levels in this panel by tabbing through the
options. We're concerned with the last entry, the level of your "line
in" the most,
but there is an option for your screen reader as well.
9. While tabbing through the options of the volume control panel, you
should eventually hear "wave volume". This option controls your screen
reader's volume.
You'll want to set this somewhat high so that your screen reader's
volume is louder than the audio of your portable device. I like to set
my level to eighty
percent.
10. Plug the other end of the cable in to the headphone jack of your
portable CD player, boom box, TV, or radio. You may be able to hear the
audio of your
device through your headphones at this point. If you don't hear
anything, proceed to the next step. If the audio is so loud that it over
powers your screen
reader, disconnect the cable from your device's headphone jack and
proceed to the next step.
11. Use the tab key until you come to some options for your "line in"
jack. The first option is for balance, this should be set to fifty
percent. The next
option is for the volume. I usually set this to fifty percent, until I
insure that the levels are to my liking. If you heard audio earlier
through your
headphones, but it was too loud, make adjustments here until you get
things the way you want them. Remember that you have to come up with a
formula between
the "line in" volume and the volume of your portable device. If the
audio sounds over modulated, either turn up the "line in" volume, or
turn down the
volume of your portable device. If you don't hear audio, and your cable
is still plugged in to your portable device, continue to the next step.
12. Tabbing once more should put you on a check box. You want this box
to be unchecked so that the "line in" jack of your sound card is not
muted. Audio
should be immediately heard after the check mark is placed in the box.
13. Hit shift+bat to return to the volume of your "line in" jack and
make any necessary changes.
list end

Now, you can listen to music, and your screen reader with only one set
of headphones, and if your portable device has stereo output, you can
enjoy that
as well. Rock on my friends!

CONTRIBUTOR
Michael McCarty

Michael McCarty
Fred's Head Database Coordinator
American Printing House for the Blind
www.aph.org

>>> granthardy@xxxxxxxxx 05/26/05 01:13AM >>>
> Click this link to get the article, make sure the link doesn't wrap.
>
> http://sun1.aph.org/cgi-bin/starfinder/5009/fred.txt?action=kom_u8
EKdyP4Yc7loTBnwInxs7QCfWzPP1gvTdYmZ

The link didn't work for me.  I got a "session killed" page.

Grant