[bookport] Re: Progress and the Book Port

  • From: "Julia Cosgrove (Mrs.)" <j.cosgrove@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2005 22:55:24 +0000

I certainly agree with all you had to say regarding the Book Port.  It is good
to see progress in things and it certainly does not detract from what the Book
Port was originally intended for.  After all, if people do not wish to use a
new feature they can take it or leave it and, in the endpoint, APH will decide
what is to be implemented or not - this is something people appear to forget.

I think the Notetaker is a very useful part of the Book Port but just rather
wish that they might be able to one day make it so that one can copy a piece,
URL, or whatever from a magazine one is reading straight into a file on the
note-taker.  Very long URLs can be a pain!

Julia.

>One of the recurring topics on this list is that of feature suggestions and
>why they should or should not be implemented. People have very strong
>viewpoints on this issue, and they tend to polarize users into two camps, two
>camps which rather vehemently oppose each other. One camp views the BP as a
>complete solution as is, and feel very strongly that no changes should be
>implemented, as making such changes would dilute the existing features, or add
>new functionality that opposes the BP's original purpose. A classic example of
>this is something I saw on a list for the Book Courier, in which one person
>said that what makes the Book Courier so much better than the Book Port is the
>fact that it doesn't have a note-taking feature, as the Book Port does.
>
>The other camp, the camp to which I personally subscribe, feels that the Book
>Port is a great unit, and that great things can be made even greater, that the
>truly great products continue to evolve. Anyone who saw the Braille 'n Speak
>evolve before Blazie Engineering was swallowed up by Freedom Scientific will
>know what can be achieved through this sort of thinking. The eveolution of the
>computer, once thought of as only useful for crunching numbers, is another.
>People in this second camp believe that the Book Port, too, can be such an
>example.
>
>Over the course of its existence, the Braille 'n Speak became more powerful,
>more flexible, more versatile, and it did so while battery life increased as
>opposed to decreasing. It outgrew the limitations of just being a notetaker,
>while at the same time staying true to the needs of that original purpose.
>
>One of the arguments I hear again and again is that the Book Port is a book
>reader, and it should not be anything else. This is the path taken by the Book
>Courier, and there's nothing wrong with it. But APH has seen fit to expand the
>usefulness of the unit. It has flown against the conventional wisdom which
>says that, if you want a notetaker, you ahve to shell out thousands of dollars
>to do it.  This probably irritates some of the people who have been in the
>business of either designing, selling, or procuring the multi-thousand-dollar
>notetakers, becasue the Book Port is available for a few hundred dollars, and
>for it to seriously rival one of the "big boys" would seriously challenge the
>conventional wisdom, and force those who claim that you need to fork over
>thousands for a decent notetaker to seriously rethink those claims. It's not a
>lot of fun to find the book from which you've been preaching for years to be
>totally discredited. The flat-earth hold-outs are still strug!
 gling
with it.