[bookport] Re: Preferring Synthetic Speech to Human Narration

  • From: peter.rand@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 06:35:08 -0600

I am quite surprised about the number of people that prefer the
synthetic speech. I have long been in this camp, but I thought I was
the rare exception.

I also prefer synthetic speech to human narration - in the past I have had to stop listening to some audio books simply because the narrator's voice irritated me no end - usually when they try to mimic accents or gender to differentiate between the characters. That's never happened with synthetic speech. I have read one or two audio books with truly superb human narration, but that seems to be the exception rather than the rule.

Peter