[bookport] Power

  • From: emai7s@xxxxxx
  • To: bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2006 09:01:46 +0100

} What about if we did something like your cell phone where you could
} replace the battery yourself if you needed to, but you would not need to
} do so every week or so as is the case now.

I have many devices which have user-replaceable lithium batteries: a palmtop
computer, a cell
phone, a digital camera and so on.

In each case the battery life is far inferior than normal user-replaceable
batteries, charging is always a problem when I am not at home (not to mention
while in other countries with different voltages and plugs), and each device
has its own propriety battery which is difficult to find and expensive to
purchase. So I think proprietary batteries are a very bad idea, and would
severely limit the usefulness of the Book Port.

Off-the-shelf user-replaceable batteries continue to be the best solution for
users, so I hope APH can come up with an idiot-proof way for users to safely
replace batteries with a thinner Book Port.

Based on the overwhelmingly negative experiences I have had with other products
using proprietary batteries, I probably would not purchase a Book Port which
uses a proprietary battery.

Peter