[bookport] Re: Possible conflict between Bookport Transfer and Norton Ghost

  • From: Clarence Whaley <clarence@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 08:10:38 -0600

Isn't there a conflict between Norton and computers working well in general? <smile>

At 07:40 AM 1/20/2006 -0500, you wrote:
In thinking more about this, I suspect that by unplugging the drive and
plugging in the bp, Ghost mistakenly saw the bp as the j drive as it
probably was assigned the same letter by the os and crashed.  If so, I
am still not sure why the other issues followed from that.
If this is the case, is there a way to permanently assign the bp a
letter which will not interfere with Ghost?

Don

-----Original Message----- From: bookport-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:bookport-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Barrett, Don Sent: Friday, January 20, 2006 7:33 AM To: bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Subject: [bookport] Possible conflict between Bookport Transfer and Norton Ghost

I am running Windows XP Pro and installed Norton Ghost two days ago
using an external drive j as my backup device.
1. When I went to transfer some files to the bp last night, before they
transferred, I got some quick messages on the PC something like "unable
to create j:\ . . ." and then I lost the message so can't fully
replicate it here.  However, it seemed as if Ghost was interfering with
BP transfer. I didn't update to the latest beta at the time as I was in
a hurry and after the strange unable to create messages, the files did
transfer successfully to the bookport.

2. After the files transferred successfully, I replugged in the j drive
to the usb port; it is not recognized at all now by the operating system
or Ghost.  When I plug or unplug the j drive into the usb port, I do not
hear the telltale dunk-dunk which signifies that the drive is mounted or
unmounted.

3. This morning, I went to update the book port transfer software and
got something very close to the following message:

"Error dialog
c:\program files\aph\book port transfer\perflib_perfdata_694.dat The
process cannot access the file because it is being used by another
process.
abort, retry, ignore (not recommended) or cancel"

Can anyone shed some light on possible causes/cures for this situation;
I now have no j drive, no backup, can't update the bp transfer software.
Thanks for any help.

Don

Clarence Whaley
Training Division Manager
GW Micro
E-Mail: Clarence@xxxxxxxxxxx
Direct Voice (615) 383-6248
or 866-699-8901
Direct Fax (260) 489-2608
GW Micro Voice Number 260-489-3671
http://www.gwmicro.com
or press enter below to read all about our training program
http://www.gwmicro.com/training