[bookport] Re: Opinion Needed

  • From: "Jerry Neufeld" <jerry.neufeld@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 19:42:03 -0500

Hello folks.

Actually, polarity sensing is a trivial problem from a hardware standpoint,
requiring only minimal components to prevent damage from wrongly-positioned
batteries. In fact, in most battery-operated equipment sold these days, it
is difficult to damage anything by placing batteries in the wrong direction.
For all I know, the Springer design people may already have this common
diode-based protection built in to the device. While I don't suggest that
anyone test this hypothesis, it would be useful to know if the BookPort can
be damanged by incorrectly positioned batteries. I would be quite surprised
if any damage at all would result.

Someone asked why so many manufacturers have gone to uniquely clips. Easy!
Fewer components, less expensive.

Cheers,

Jerry