[bookport] Re: Odd behavior of latest beta

  • From: Sandy Licht <slicht@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 19:31:10 -0500

I have had weird behavior as well. Sometimes when pressing the 8 key while reading, instead of getting a status report, the Bookport will start reading a sentence over and over. It is like it gets into a loop. I will press the 2 several times, and finally it will stop and start reading normally. When I press the 8 key again, it will work properly. I am using Lithium batteries, and I just changed them less than a week ago. I have been reading e-texts, so the battery drainage shouldn't be that heavy.

Walt, my BP has acted the same way several times, too. I didn't have to replace the batteries, but I did have to remove them. As I mentioned before, 2-B never has worked properly.

At 07:20 PM 8/29/2005, you wrote:

Over the weekend, I was monitoring my batteries (standard alkalines) pretty
carefully because I knew they were beginning to get a little low and I was
reading an Audible book, which seems to use up more battery life than
reading a text file for the same length of time. Anyhow, I suddenly got to
the point where the Book Port was reading, but absolutely no keystrokes
would have any effect. I repeatedly pressed 2, D+F, A+C, etc., but nothing
happened--the book just kept right on reading. I started pressing keys
randomly at a pretty fast clip and suddenly, the BP just stopped dead and at
_that_ point, no keystrokes would work. I emphasize that I had not received
a low battery warning and based on the fact that I had been monitoring
remaining battery life very closely, I would estimate that there was at
least 30%; possibly 35%; of their life remaining when all this happened. I
removed the batteries and replaced them with a new set and everything is
working fine again, but this struck me as really strange and completely
unexpected behavior.

 --
 Walt Smith - Clearwater, FL
 ka3agm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx