[bookport] Re: Nostalgia (was Memory Cards)

  • From: Alex Parks <mehgcap@xxxxxxx>
  • To: bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2007 23:12:37 -0400

This is getting off-topic, but I just want to say that I really feel my age now; normally one says that when they are older, but in this case I mean how young I am. I remember when cf cards were $110 for 512 mb. I remember thinking that 16 mb storage on my bn classic was pretty nice, and that doubling it with a 16 mb cf card was just the best thing ever. I look at my computer tower now; 350+ gb of storage, 1 gb ram and that is small. It just staggers me to think how far computers have come in such a short time. I never even knew computers could use cassette tapes, and now they are talking about an sd card that can hold 64 gb (yes gigabytes) of information. A device the size of a postage stamp that can hold, if my math is correct, 45511.1111111 1.44 mb floppy disks. It just boggles the mind. I think of how blessed I am to grow up in an age where a Perkins brailler is almost a thing of the past and where I can complete assignments electronically, email them to my teachers instead of having them transcribed, and those teachers can use their favorite wordprocessing programs because my braille computer can support common formats. I couldn't imagine going through school with a brailler. Computers are such a part of my life now that I simply can't fathom going without them, especially being blind. My sister's laptop almost had to be sent into be repaired, and she said ( to me anyway) the oddest thing: "I kind of like going without my laptop for a few weeks. It is nice to have a break from technology." It blows my mind, it really does. My BrailleNote never leaves me. How could anyone enjoy not having their computer for any length of time? It is also scary, in a way, how dependant I have become on technology. My bn, its gps, my screen reader... Even the lock on my dorm building scans my student ID card before letting me in. That same card gives me meals, and a different card gives me access to the laundry facilities. What would happen if the campus lost electricity? Okay, this is way off topic and I am sorry for that, but I just wanted to throw in my 2 cents for what it is worth. Well, I guess it is worth roughly 2 cents!

Have a great day,
Alex