[bookport] No response fom Book Port

  • From: Peter Rand <peter.rand@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 13:13:16 +0200

Hi ,

My Book Port is now working, after 24 hours of complete unresponsiveness.
I'll mention below how it finally  started working again.

Now to answer some of your comments and suggestions:

>Did you try resetting with 2 plus b?

Yes, but it had no effect.

> A lot of messages seem to be when people upgrade their unit.

My Book Port failed once during an upgrade, and had to be returned to APH
for repairs. That's why I stopped working as a beta-tester.  This time the
failure occurred simply as the unit was resting overnight.

> I have seen a number of messages from this list of people not getting
put back in, etc.  Is there a certain procedure to prevent this problem?

None that I know of. It seems to occur for no apparent reason. I've heard
that this is a known issue with both the Book Port and Book Courier, but
Springer Design has been unable to track down the cause. I don't know if
there is a name for it, but I would be tempted to call it 'Book Port Sudden
Death Syndrome' (BPSDS).

> Does this happen often?

While someone else stated that 'this is not a frequently occurring
problem', as you noted yourself,  there have been a number of messages from
this list of people not getting responses at all from the bookport, even
when batteries are taken out and put back in, so it does seem to happen
fairly often -too often, in fact,from the perspective of those affected.

> I just purchased a bookport, and I don't want to get it and start getting
it ready only to have to send it back to aph.

I guess it's just a risk Book Port owners have to live with. Most people
will not be affected, but a certain number of users will invariably
experience BPSDS.

What I found was that simply placing the batteries back in the unit was not
enough. I had to repeatedly jiggle/drag the positive tip of the lower
battery against the contact in the Book Port until I finally heard the Book
Port sputter back to life through the headphones.

Since then the Book Port has been pretty flakey , and on occasion fails to
respond to any key presses. Taking out and putting back in the batteries
does not help, but jiggling/dragging  the positive tip of the lower battery
against the contact in the Book Port until I hear the Book Port come back
to life through the headphones seems to work.

Of course, every time this happens the Book Port also loses all its
settings, but I guess that's another issue.

I'm just glad it works at the moment.

Peter