[bookport] Re: Newbie post

  • From: Monica Willyard <rhyami@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2007 17:43:03 -0400

Hi, Kel. I honestly don't know the answer to your question about tranferring files. I have a guess though. The Book Port flash card is formatted with a file system called FAT or FAT32 depending on the size of the card. Can a Mac read a drive or card with Fat formatting? I do know that the Mac does not use FAT formatting on its own drives. In your place, what I would do is save my files to a folder on my hard drive and then see if there is a Mac utility that will let you copy these files to a FAT drive or card. I do know that for Windows there is a utility that will let us read disks made on the Mac. I have never used this utility. I have seen it around for a decade or so though. Surely the Mac has an equivalent of some sort. I am not an APH staff member, so if anything I say contradicts them, please ignore what I've said. I have been passionately interested in computers since the 80s when I was a child. I have never gotten to play with any Apple products, so all I know is from reading articles online. As for your friendships cooling if you showed up to transfer files, there is a way to make that work. For over a year I had a neighbor who didn't have a computer and needed to check email. We made a deal. He made coffee each morning and brought me a cup. I despise early mornings, and this made me very happy. I felt pampered to have someone make the coffee, and he got to check his email. It worked well for us because we both got some of what we needed. I wish you luck with your Book Port Mac odyssey. I wish I lived close enough to you to help you with getting things going.

Monica Willyard

Kel Day wrote:
Thanks for your suggestions, Monica.

My problem is, I guess, fear of the unknown. I imagine costly virus protection, system crashes, etc. I do have family and friends with PCs of course, but I can imagine the friendship cooling should ol’ Kel come knocking on the door each morning to download newspapers etc. Am I incorrect in assuming that once the Book Port is initially configured on a PC, it should be possible to download stuff via an internet browser on any platform??? Even if one were to download to any drive on any platform, would it not be feasible to simply transfer to the Book Port flash card?? Of course, I’m unable to test this theory until I get the BP configured...

I shall report as I progress (or not).