[bookport] Re: New file type to consider

  • From: buhrow@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Brian Buhrow)
  • To: bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 14:58:14 -0800

        Hi Richard.  I think you might be mistaken with regard to the legality
of converting .lit files to a form suitable for transfer to the Bookport.  I
think there has long been an exception in the copyright law which says you
can transcribe published material into an accessible form without paying
royalties if the purpose of performing that transcription is to give access
to a print disabled individual.  This is the law which Bookshare lives and
breathes on.  So, if there is a tool which can extract the contents of .lit
files, it's not illegal for print disabled individuals to use that tool to
gain access to material they purchased.
-Brian
On Nov 14,  4:32pm, "Richard Ring" wrote:
} Subject: [bookport] Re: New file type to consider
} Yes, and let's talk about those file types.
} Remember, the Bookport reads text.
} Insofar as PDF documents are concerned, many of them cannot be converted
} into text because they are images of text rather than text.
} If you have a recent version of Acrobat Reader, you can attempt to
} convert PDF files to text and then, if what you get is readable, you can
} transfer it to the Bookport.
} In other words, it makes little sense to place this functionality in the
} Bookport transfer tool, because it already exists in Acrobat Reader and
} in Kurzweil 1000, and in Openbook.
} And, no matter where you get the ability to change PDF files into text,
} this still means that you will be able to successfully read perhaps 50
} per cent of the little beasties.
} As far as .lit files are concerned, I'd be willing to bet that there
} would be a licensing issue with Microsoft, and there is also that little
} matter of legality.
} These files are in a proprietary format because Microsoft and the
} publishers want to preserve  copywrited material.  People have to
} purchase books that have been prepared in this format.
} What it comes down to is that it is not legal to convert these files.
} Yes, I know that there is software out there that can do this, but I'm
} telling you that it is not legal.
} APH is not going to be able to convert these files because it would be
} in violation of law.
}
}