[bookport] Re: New Audio Manual

  • From: "David Allen" <wd8ldy@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 14:12:19 +1300

Hi Larry and list:

I know hindsight is always 20/20. But truly, I would recognise Carrie's
distinctive voice any time.

The new manual is very handy. But I notice one omition that might be useful
to correct in future versions. This is the omition of the fact that the
command A+C reports the unit's serial number, as well as the firmware
version number. The manual is consistent, in that it fails to mention this
in the appendix A, as well as in the manual itself.

I am not sure what, if any importance the unit's serial number might be. But
my unit has always announced this along with the version number of the
firmware, and would think the manual should reflect this.

It is a pity NLS can't achieve the quality of clarity in books that we enjoy
with this audio manual. I can appreciate that quality is lost through
generations of copying that NLS does. But the nature of my hearing is such
that I have often been prevented from reading a book because of the lack of
clarity. This has never been an issue in my reading of this manual.

I tell everyone how much I enjoy my Bookport. But being able to access the
manual so easily can only improve the desire of anyone to have one for
themselves, besides offering an experienced user a handy way to refresh
their knowledge when the unit is not necessarily handy.

Cheers,
Dave