[bookport] Re: Need help in solving problems withreadingrecording for the blind books for grad scho

  • From: Sandy Licht <slicht@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2006 13:18:49 -0500

Take a look at the Kingston cards.  They are good, also.

At 08:59 AM 10/4/2006, Jay Pellis wrote:
Hi-
Unfortunately from looking at ebay, amazon and places like dealram.com the
only 4gb cards sandisk seems to offer are the ultra 2 ones and a more
expensive one called extreme 3 or something like that.  If anyone could help
me find a non ultra 4 gig card, i'd appreciate it.  I'd like to stick with
sandisk if possible but i'm sure other brands are quite good and reliable
also.
Thanks
Jay

>>> slicht@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx Wednesday, October 04, 2006 12:57:43 AM >>>
You don't need an ultra card for your Bookport.  You will pay more
for it, and the BP can't utilize the extra speed.  I have never seen
a Type I CF card with a switch on it.

At 05:19 PM 10/3/2006, Jay Pellis wrote:
>Hello everyone-
>Thanks to everyone for the suggestions etc.  I did manage to get a
>refund on the FS reader from freedom scientific and I've decided to
>purchase the bookwizard reader to use as software on my pc and the
>bookport to use as hardware elsewhere, such as reading my rfb book in
>the music building etc.  I hope i made the right decision.  Since I
also
>have a pacmate that can read text files and most of my books i read
for
>pleasure are text files, do i really need a bookport?  Lol who knows.
>went ahead and ordered yesterday so i probably shouldn't cancel now.
>Besides, I use a triple talk PCI card as my speech synthesiser which
has
>double talk voices so I am use to the Pete voice.  Also, i suppose
the
>bookport would be nice to have since the audible player won't install
on
>my pacmate and it doesn't support the 2 rfbd books i found on their
>website for my classes.  I wish they had the others i require but I
>suppose i could try scanning those  And who knows if the pacmate will
>ever support them anyhow.  I guess my peeve is having multiple
devices
>for doing different things, it sure would be nice to have one product
>that can do everything haha, take notes with a braille keyboard which
>prefer over desktop/laptop, have a small braille display, can turn
off
>the speech so you won't bother people etc, browse the net, play the
>gazillion formats of files that are out there etc.
>Now i just have to go and get a 4gb flash card.  I am looking at
>something by sandisk called an ultra 2 compact flash card, model
number
>SDCFH-4096-901. I think it's the same card i already have for my
>pacmate, i hope it is anyway.  I guess it would be preferable to have
>card for the pacmate and a separate one for the bookport.  My pacmate
>card has a little switch on the right side where you can switch
between
>2 2 gig particians and the full 4 gig partician, i think they do that
so
>it can work with older devices.  Unfortunately sandisk cards seem a
>little more expensive then the other brands but i've always found
them
>to be reliable.
>Thanks everyone again and I hope this was a worthwhile decision, I
>suppose i will soon see.
>Sincerely
>Jay Pellis
>
>----------
>Jay Pellis
>E-mail: jalucard@xxxxxxxxxxxx
>Aol instant messenger: ftealucard
>Yahoo messenger: ftealucard
>Msn messenger, jalucard@xxxxxxxxxxxx
>Skype: ftealucard

The
>plus
>with the FRBD books is that you do here the actual human voice
reading
>the
>text.
>
>You only need the authorization cD once. Then I just have it stored
in
>case
>I need it in the future.
>
>Good luck with your music course.
>
>Nancy

FS
>reader software from freedom scientific and the user authorization cd
>also
>from rfb.  I thought to purchase the FS reader since you can obtain
the
>pc
>and pacmate versions both at once and i figured it would work with
jaws
>pretty well.  I installed the software and called rfb in order to
>authorize
>it to play the rfb books.  That went ok.  I opened up the book and
typed
>in
>my pin number and the book appeared.  Jaws navigation worked fine
going
>between the tree view list of chapters as well as the text window.
>However
>there was no text in the text window, just what appeared to be
chapter
>names
>and page numbers.  Also, the audio of the book would not play.  Now i
>opened
>up the jaws6 basic training and the text appeared fine for that book
but
>the
>audio still wouldn't play, also would not play in the fs reader demo
>included with jaws6.  I tested other demos of daisy book reader
software
>and
>they worked fine with the jaws book.  I called FS tech support and we
>couldn't figure out what to do.  The only thing i can think of is to
>upgrade
>to service pack 2 of windows xp but i don't think that would fix the
>problem
>either.  I always make sure i have the latest versions of everything
>such as
>windows media player 10 and direct x 9.0c.  So I plan on calling FS
>later
>today to see if I may get a refund on the software since it doesn't
>appear
>to work on my system.  I also didn't install the pacmate program
either
>since I was going to wait on that to support rfbd books if it ever
will
>that
>is.
>I'm not sure what I should do now and I was wondering if anyone had
any
>opinions?  I was talking to my parents about it and they said they'd
>help me
>purchase a new program or piece of hardware to use to read the books.
>was
>looking at book wizard reader by APH and it seems ok, just can't seem
>read the text of the jaws book with either jaws itself or one of the
MS
>sapi
>voices in the text view with the arrow keys or playback keys.  Other
>then
>that, it seems like a good program.  However i was thinking with
>software, i
>could probably display the text and audio at the same time but with
>hardware, i won't be tied down to my pc.
>I was perhaps thinking of purchasing bookwizard reader and the
bookport
>and
>getting that authorized for rfbd.  That device also plays other file
>formats
>which I think would be nice to have, especially audible files since
the
>audible player won't install on my pacmate.  Or do i perhaps buy a
>program
>and one of the portable cd players from the recording for the blind?
>don't
>know what any of them are like since there don't appear to be demos.
>I'd
>like something that's easy to learn so i won't have to struggle with
it
>and
>i could read the book.
>I'd like to get this problem solved as quickly as possible so I can
>participate fully in class reading.  If I can't get a refund on the
FS
>reader software, I guess i'll just keep it and if i ever get a
laptop,
>maybe
>it will work on that. Unfortunately, i don't think rfb would give me
>refund on the fs reader authorization cd.
>Thanks for any help or opinions, it would be greatly appreciated.
Feel
>free
>to contact me at any of the messenger screen names below, skype and
>Yahoo
>messenger don't work on my universities network but aim and msn do.
>Sincerely
>Jay Pellis

>Jay Pellis
>E-mail: jalucard@xxxxxxxxxxxx