[bookport] Re: Need help in solving problems with reading recording for the blind books for grad school classes

  • From: "Jay Pellis" <jalucard@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2006 18:19:22 -0400

Hello everyone-
Thanks to everyone for the suggestions etc.  I did manage to get a
refund on the FS reader from freedom scientific and I've decided to
purchase the bookwizard reader to use as software on my pc and the
bookport to use as hardware elsewhere, such as reading my rfb book in
the music building etc.  I hope i made the right decision.  Since I also
have a pacmate that can read text files and most of my books i read for
pleasure are text files, do i really need a bookport?  Lol who knows.  I
went ahead and ordered yesterday so i probably shouldn't cancel now.
Besides, I use a triple talk PCI card as my speech synthesiser which has
double talk voices so I am use to the Pete voice.  Also, i suppose the
bookport would be nice to have since the audible player won't install on
my pacmate and it doesn't support the 2 rfbd books i found on their
website for my classes.  I wish they had the others i require but I
suppose i could try scanning those  And who knows if the pacmate will
ever support them anyhow.  I guess my peeve is having multiple devices
for doing different things, it sure would be nice to have one product
that can do everything haha, take notes with a braille keyboard which i
prefer over desktop/laptop, have a small braille display, can turn off
the speech so you won't bother people etc, browse the net, play the
gazillion formats of files that are out there etc.
Now i just have to go and get a 4gb flash card.  I am looking at
something by sandisk called an ultra 2 compact flash card, model number
SDCFH-4096-901. I think it's the same card i already have for my
pacmate, i hope it is anyway.  I guess it would be preferable to have a
card for the pacmate and a separate one for the bookport.  My pacmate
card has a little switch on the right side where you can switch between
2 2 gig particians and the full 4 gig partician, i think they do that so
it can work with older devices.  Unfortunately sandisk cards seem a
little more expensive then the other brands but i've always found them
to be reliable.
Thanks everyone again and I hope this was a worthwhile decision, I
suppose i will soon see.
Sincerely
Jay Pellis

Jay Pellis