[bookport] Re: NLS Beta Program

  • From: "Don Barrett" <donter@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 05 Nov 2006 12:51:42 -0500

NLS will distribute books on the cartridges exactly as they now do with
cassettes.  These cartridges have write protection and the players cannot
record so generally speaking, the players will only be able to play those
cartridges supplied by NLS.

However, NLS is also figuring that vendors will self blank writable
cartridges which will allow patrons to download books from the web site and
put them on the cartridges  using probably a usb cartridge reader.  This
means that if you see a book you want, you can either order it and wait for
the regular mail to deliver it on cartridge, or you can download it and put
it on a blank cartridge when vendors make them available.

Where the cartridge slides into the player is a usb connection inside the
player, so it may be possible to use a thumb drive or other usb device and
attach it to the player via the internal usb port, although this is unclear
at this point as none of the beta testers for this part of the program have
final players.

If you don't want to use the NLS player, you will have to use a player from
a vendor such as the bookport, which has been modified to include the NLS
copyright decoding scheme to play materials as we have been discussing.

Don