[bookport] NLS Beta Program

  • From: "Don Barrett" <donter@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bookport" <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 03 Nov 2006 20:08:14 -0500

I've been off of the list for a bit so if this has already been covered,
someone please straighten me out, but if not, it really is time for it to be
addressed directly by APH.

As you know, the NLS beta program testing the facility to download and read
digital books is proceeding quite well.  I am told that the site may be
available
to all NLS patrons sometime around the middle of 2007.  Since the handling
of these materials by the BookPort will require hardware, firmware, and
software
changes, it would seem that time is of the essence if the Bookport is to
undergo a redesign, pass all of the rigorous beta and other testing, and
make
a smooth transition to allowing its owners to read NLS-produced materials in
digital form when the site becomes available.  Can you all shed any light on
this?  I can just imagine that when the NLS site goes live, any device that
is not ready to deal with those materials will suffer much negative press to
say nothing of decreased sales
and popularity.  Since the BookPort is probably the coolest device invented
since the electric coffee-maker, I would hate to see it undergo such a bumpy
transition.  NLS implementation time just is not that far off, and I believe
APH has a responsibility to its customers to make a public commitment to
support this reading system for the blind which will be free and available
to all non-print reading citizens.  As I say, I may have missed this
discussion, so if this has already happened, I will gladly back off, and
wait for it all to play out.

On the other hand, APH has been alluding to a new unit for literally years,
and given the true closeness of the NLS implementation date (perhaps half a
year or there abouts to if all goes well), we really need the real deal and
soon.  Please what is going on.

Don Barrett