[bookport] Re: NAVIGATIONAL ODDITY, ANYONE ELSE SEEN THIS?

  • From: Sandy Licht <slicht@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2006 10:50:29 -0600

I am currently reading texts only, and the Bookport still loses its place. It doesn't do this every time, and it only seems to do it when I unlock the unit. When I am close to the beginning of a file, the BP doesn't go back nearly as far as it does when I am in the middle of the text, or when I am close to the end. Fortunately, it doesn't jump back to where I have begun reading, but it will jump back a page or two.

At 09:39 AM 1/9/2006, you wrote:

Hello. I now have more data points to throw at this problem. And, a
work around which seems to be pretty reliable. For those of you who don't
remember the original problem description, see the bottom of this message
for a copy of that explanation. Can anyone else utilize the work around
with success?
In a nut shell, the problem is that, seemingly at random, the reading
pointer doesn't track along with streaming text when you're reading a text
file with the Doubletalk engine. Rather, it stays where you started your
reading session, or it lags behind at some distance. Other times, it works
perfectly. Any file can be affected, and I haven't determined exactly what
makes it crop up, but I have an idea or two.
Further investigation reveals that the problem seems to be related to
switching between file types. That is, if you only use your bookport to
read text files, or only MP3 files, you won't encounter the problem. Also,
if you utilize the work around I describe below to resolve the issue,
you'll find the fix keeps until the unit turns off. Also, because I suspect
that the problem is related to the different format of index file used for
text files versus MP3 files, you probably won't encounter the problem if
you only use unindexed MP3 files, though I haven't tested this theory (all
my MP3 files are indexed).
OK. Now, to describe the work around. If you're reading a text file,
and find that the reading pointer is not keeping up with you, perform the
following steps.

1.  Stop reading the current text file by pressing the 2 key

2.  Navigate to an indexed MP3 file, not one whose place you're trying to
hold.

3.  Press the 1 key until a beep is heard to put you at the beginning of
that file.

4.  Press the 1 key again, and hear the descending double tone of an
invalid key press.

5.  Press the 1 key a third time, and the unit will begin playing the MP3
file from the beginning.  (If left to its own devices, the bookport will
now play the entire MP3 file or until the sleep timer expires, which ever
comes first.)

6.  While the bookport is playing, press a non-navigational key.  I usually
press either the 5 key, which does nothing during MP3 playback, or the 8
key, which gives you file status information.  In either case, in this
instance, the bookport will give you the invalid key tone and stop playing
the MP3 file.

7.  Before the  unit times out with the double beep, navigate back to your
original text file in step 1, and continue reading.  You should now find
that the reading pointer keeps up with your streaming audio just fine.  I
believe, but don't know, that your reading pointer will work fine until the
next time you play an indexed MP3 file, using the 2 key and let the
bookport go to sleep while in that MP3 file.

        Can anyone else reproduce this behavior?

-Brian

P.s. Here is the original description of the problem.
Hello. I'm running Bookport firmware V2.1.
I've noticed a strange navigational oddity that I can't account for.
Sometimes, but not always, when I start reading a book with the built-in
Doubletalk, i.e. not an MP3, I find that the reading pointer doesn't stay
with me while I'm reading. That is, if I pause, hit a navigational key, or
otherwise interrupt the reading, the Bookport jumps back to the place I
began my reading session. If I use the navigational keys to jump forward,
the reading pointer stays with me through pauses, but as soon as I start
streaming the text again, the reading pointer stays where the streaming
began. the strange thing is that it is inconsistent on the same file. One
time, the reading pointer will track along with the streaming text, another
time it won't. It seems to happen most frequently as one reads further
into the file in question, but where it begins, and when, seem to vary. At
first I thought it was a problem with some particular books I'd loaded into
the Bookport, but now, I've noticed, it seems to strike rather randomly.
This problem does not affect MP3 files, either indexed or unindexed.
Anyone else experienced this behavior? Anyone else been able to more
definitely pin down when it happens and when it doesn't? I'll keep poking,
and see if I can come up with anymore data points, but I thought I'd ask
here to see if anyone else had experienced this behavior.

-thanks
-Brian

Sandy Licht
Phone: 409-898-8218