[bookport] Re: My suggestion about tactile markings

  • From: "Foxtrot" <foxtrot01876@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2006 13:27:48 -0400

Bookport Friends,

My professional life was involved  primarily with deaf clients.  You may
take my remarks as valid or not, because I've been blind for only 4 years.
However, I have felt that many people from both groups adopt a "bictim"
attitude. I have actually seen members of both groups decline participation
in research projects, because they felt they were being "used" by the
researchers and thus should be paid for their participation.  Folks, wake
up; they're trying to help us.

The reality in our society is that consumer products, both hardware and
software must support themselves financially. Most consumer products are
produced for use by hundreds of thousands of people.  The consumer groups of
the deaf and blind are miniscule compared to those  of most consumer groups.
Because of the small numbers of consumers, the manufacturers of assistive
devices must be very conscious of keeping product development costs low.  It
is wonderful to be able to communicate with the developers of these products
and to provide then with wish lists.  However, to assume that they are not
looking out for the needs of the group, or are being stingy because of the
bottom line is unfair.  There are many adaptations of products that we can
easily make our selves, thus allowing producers to keep their bottom lines
in the black and enabling them to continue to develop and produce assistive
devices for our use

As I mentioned, my period as an end user of assistive devices began only 4
years ago.  Perhaps, because of this, you may feel my remarks are invalid.
However, I had a similar experience when I was on the other side, providing
and producing assistive materials.    As a user, I am thrilled and amazed at
what is available and the plans for future assisted devices.  I applaud the
producers of devices for their  dedication and ingenuity.  Keep up the good
work.  Thank you.