[bookport] Re: Libraries Offering Audiobook Downloads

  • From: Ann Byrne <annakb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 18:38:57 -0500

Exactly. The files from Overdrive are in WMA format but with digital rights management encryption.
At 05:00 PM 8/29/2005, you wrote:

From the limited material I have had a chance to read on this, I
believe the files are encrypted rather like they are on book port.
It's not the same encryption, but it serves the same ends.  In some
cases, when the due date of the book is reached, the files will no
longer play.
Neal

-----Original Message----- From: bookport-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:bookport-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Sandy Licht Sent: Monday, August 29, 2005 4:29 PM To: bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Subject: [bookport] Re: Libraries Offering Audiobook Downloads

You could convert the WMA files, couldn't you?

At 01:21 PM 8/29/2005, you wrote:
>Thanks, Neal.
>
>Our local library offers this service but I haven't yet tried it.
>
>My understanding is that Overdrive, the required software for this
>audiobook service, is Windows Media Player based. Given that Bookport

>doesn't (yet) work with WMA files, I'm guessing Bookport users will
not be
>able to access audiobooks from this source. Can this be confirmed by
>anyone knowledgeable about this?
>
>Also, our library offers ebook downloads in the Adobe Reader format.
>Can
>these be made accessible to Bookport?
>
>Below is information for our local library site, in case that may
help.

>Digital books are the digital versions of print books, and include
>downloadable audio books for listening and eBooks for on-screen
reading.
>Both digital audio books and eBooks can be used on a variety of
devices
>such as PCs, laptops, and supported PDAs. This site offers digital
audio
>books in the OverDrive Media Console(tm) format, and eBooks in the
AdobeR
>ReaderR format
>
>To use OverDrive Media Console, you will need to have Windows Media
>Player
>(9 Series or newer). OverDrive Media Console takes advantage of
Windows
>Media Player support for burning audio books to CD and transferring
files
>to supported portable devices.
><http://www.playsforsure.com/FindPortableDevices.aspx>To review a
complete
>and current list of supported portable devices, click here.
>

><http://www.overdrive.com/partners/redirects.asp?product=adobereader>
Fo
>the latest information on Adobe Reader, click here to visit the Adobe

>Reader product page at Adobe.com.
>
>Thanks for any help.
>

>----------

Computer

>Inc. (AAPL)'s massively popular iPod player.
>
>Vendors such as OverDrive Inc. and OCLC Online Computer Library
Center

>Inc.'s NetLibrary have licensing deals with publishers and provide
>digital
>
>books using Microsoft Corp. (MSFT)'s Windows Media Audio format,
which

>includes copyright protections designed to help audiobooks stand
apart
>from
>
>the often lawless world of song swapping.
>
>A patron with a valid library card visits a library Web site to
borrow

>title for, say, three weeks. When the audiobook is due, the patron
must

>renew it or find it automatically "returned" in a virtual sense: The
>file
>
>still sits on the patron's computer, but encryption makes it
unplayable

>beyond the borrowing period.
>
>"The patron doesn't have to do anything after the lending period,"
said

>Steve Potash, chief executive of OverDrive. "The file expires. It
>checks
>
>itself back into the collection. There's no parts to lose. It's never
>
>damaged. It can never be late."
>
>Potash said about 1,000 libraries have signed up for OverDrive's
>audiobook
>
>service since its debut late last year. NetLibrary, teaming up with
>
>Recorded Books, launched a similar service in January and counts 200
>
>library customers.
>
>Libraries offering audiobook downloads range from large institutions
in
>New
>
>York and Los Angeles to smaller ones for Cleveland, Ohio, Maricopa
>County,
>
>Ariz., North Little Rock, Ark. and Omaha, Neb. The Hawaii State
Public

>Library System signed up earlier this month.
>
>Guilderland pays NetLibrary about $6,000 a year for more than 850
>titles.
>
>Randall considers that a good deal, noting that a single audiobook
can
>cost
>
>the library up to $80 when bought on CD.
>
>Under the NetLibrary program, Guilderland gets a set number of
>downloads
>
>for all titles each year, and a single title can be borrowed by
>multiple
>
>patrons simultaneously as long as the cap hasn't been reached.
>Downloads
>
>over the cap cost extra. Patrons must provide their own audio
players,

>although they may listen on their home computers if they do not have
>one.
>
>Other libraries make different arrangements. OverDrive, for example,
>
>generally takes a more traditional approach. When a copy is checked
>out, no
>
>other patron may download it until the borrowing period ends.
>
>It's still unclear what impact such services will have on audiobook
>
>download sales from companies such as Audible Inc. (ADBL), although
one

>analyst suggested it could inspire more sales as patrons buy for
keeps

>title they had borrowed.
>
>"It's certainly smart for the publishers to do this," said Phil
Leigh,

> [...]
>
>have evolved from lending books to cassettes and videotapes to CDs
and

>DVDs. OverDrive recently launched a video download service for
>libraries.
>
>Librarians say they had little interest in audiobook downloads just a

>few
>
>years ago, but they have since noticed what everyone else has: the
>ubiquity
>
>of people sporting earbuds on streets, buses and malls.
>
>Nearly 28 million portable audio players were sold last year,
according

>In-Stat, a technology research company. With more than 21 million
sold,
>the
>
>iPod remains the signature portable player. But it uses the Advanced
>Audio
>
>Coding format with FairPlay, its own digital rights management system

>and
>
>one incompatible with Windows' technology.
>
>Just as the lack of a standard digital audio format has fragmented
the

>music download market, it affects audiobooks.
>
>Users of iPods can still listen to books purchased through sources
such
>as
>
>audible.com or Apple's own iTunes Music Store, but the library
>services,
>
>for now, are geared toward computers and devices that support Windows

>Media
>
>Audio files. OverDrive files can be burned to CDs and converted to
iPod

>friendly formats, but NetLibrary's cannot.
>
>Marge Gammon of NetLibrary said that despite iPod's cache, the
company

>wanted a product that could be played on a range of devices.
>OverDrive's
>
>Potash notes there's a growing market of portable audio players, some
>
>priced lower then $50 (Regular iPod models start at $299, though the
>Minis
>
>start at $199 and Shuffles at $99).
>
>Apple spokeswoman Natalie Kerris said the company has no plans to
>change
>
>its copy-protection formats and would not comment on the
>incompatibility
>issue.
>
>Librarians say they have heard complaints from iPod users, but
there's

>little they can do beyond waiting for the industry to sort out its
>differences.
>
>One California library shunned the download services completely,
>largely
>
>because of iPod's popularity. Instead, Newport Beach Public Library
>bought
>
>15 iPod Shuffles and loaded them up with audiobooks from iTunes to
loan

>out. Patrons are liable for any loss or damage, though librarian
>Genesis
>
>Hansen said there's been no problems so far.

Sandy Licht
Phone: 409-898-8218
Jeremiah 29:11 - 14A
11For I know the plans I have for you," says the LORD. "They are plans
for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope.
12In those days when you pray, I will listen. 13If you look for me in
earnest, you will find me when you seek me. 14I will be found by you,"
says the
LORD...