[bookport] Re: Latest Beta and File Position

  • From: "Peter Torpey" <ptorpey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2006 09:20:43 -0500

Walt,

Your idea about the book indexing seems plausible except for one thing:  The
BP may jump back by several sentences, but then when I stop continuous
reading mode and then use the 3 key to go forward by a sentence (well, not
always a sentence in a DAISY book, but the smallest movement possible),
movement will be by smaller amounts than by the amount the BP jumped back.
Thus, if we use the indexing model, it seems that the BP jumps back by
several index marks during these events.  To me, this sounds like some kind
of buffering problem - i.e., how much data is sent to the speech chip at
once and where it can start again.  Don't know but it is a little strange.

Is this clear?

-- Pete

From: "Walt Smith" <walt@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [bookport] Re: Latest Beta and File Position
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2006 14:28:56 -0500

Peter -

This, in various forms, has been around as long as I've owned a BP and
that's going on eighteen months now. I've determined from experimentation
that it has something to do with the index markers in the book, itself, as
I've had some files where this would only cause a backward skip of perhaps a

sentence and others of the same format where the file would go back over a
page. I haven't actually experimented much with different formats, but I
know that I've seen it in .txt, .brf, and DAISY files. I've become
convinced, though, that it's not so much a BP problem as a file formatting
problem.