[bookport] Re: Ipod question

  • From: buhrow@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Brian Buhrow)
  • To: bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 3 Sep 2005 14:38:38 -0700

        Hello.  While you can think of your Ipod as a disk drive, the music
play lists are stored in a database file which is stored on that disk as
well.  In other words, The ipod won't play random files on its disk unless
those files are referenced by its music database. So, you'll need I-tunes
to get music to play on your Ipod, but not to use your Ipod as a portable
disk drive.
        There are other programs, like X-play, which can load and unload your
Ipod, but if you have I-tunes, you may as well use it.
-Brian

On Sep 3,  3:43pm, "Neal Ewers" wrote:
} Subject: [bookport] Ipod question
} This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
}
} ------=_NextPart_000_0075_01C5B09E.46F9E230
} place where the message read something like this.  After installing the
} i-tunes software, you will be unable to ad files on the ipod by in any
} other way than i-tunes.  Now, this made me wonder if I could not load
} i-tunes and simply copy files from my computer to the ipod without
} i-tunes software.  In fact, the ipod shows up as a drive letter and I
} can copy files to it.  But, I am not sure if I have the hold button on
} or if, on the other hand, the ipod will not play files you have put on
} the ipod by simply copying them from your computer.  In other words, do
} I need to load i-tunes in order to get files to my ipod that I can play,
} or can I simply play the ones I copy via Windows explorer?  Thanks for
} your help on this one.  You know, new toys always always present new
} questions.
} Neal
}
}
} ------=_NextPart_000_0075_01C5B09E.46F9E230
}
} <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
} <HTML><HEAD>
} <META HTTP-EQUIV=3D"Content-Type" CONTENT=3D"text/html; =
} charset=3Dus-ascii">
} <TITLE>Message</TITLE>
}
} <META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2900.2722" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
} <BODY>
} <DIV><SPAN class=3D031033720-03092005><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Hello =
} all,&nbsp; I=20
} just got an ipod shuffle and I have a question.&nbsp; As I was loading =
} both the=20
} ipod software and the i-tunes software, I got to a place where the =
} message read=20
} something like this.&nbsp; After installing the i-tunes software, you =
} will be=20
} unable to ad files on the ipod by in any other way than i-tunes.&nbsp; =
} Now, this=20
} made me wonder if I could not load i-tunes and simply copy files from my =
}
} computer to the ipod without i-tunes software.&nbsp; In fact, the ipod =
} shows up=20
} as a drive letter and I can copy files to it.&nbsp; But, I am not sure =
} if I have=20
} the hold button on or if, on the other hand, the ipod will not play =
} files you=20
} have put on the ipod by simply copying them from your computer.&nbsp; In =
} other=20
} words, do I need to load i-tunes in order to get files to my ipod that I =
} can=20
} play, or can I simply play the ones I copy via Windows explorer?&nbsp; =
} Thanks=20
} for your help on this one.&nbsp; You know, new toys always always =
} present new=20
} questions.</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
} <DIV><SPAN class=3D031033720-03092005><FONT face=3DArial=20
} size=3D2>Neal</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
} <DIV><SPAN class=3D031033720-03092005><FONT face=3DArial=20
} size=3D2></FONT></SPAN>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>
}