[bookport] Re: In defense of Double Talk

  • From: "Richard Ring" <richard.ring@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 15:12:52 -0500

My personal opinion is that somehow officials from Canada and the United
states should sit down over a cup of tea or two and work something out
so that Canadians can use Bookshare as well as U.S. citizens.
Unfortunately, it isn't quite that simple.  Bookshare was heavily
pressured by the publishers not to allow persons residing in countries
outside the U.S.  To be able to participate in Bookshare.  The initial
reason given was that copyright laws in some countries do not fully
protect the publishers.  I tend to doubt that this would be the case
with countries like Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand,
France Spain and Germany to name a few.