[bookport] Re: Ideas and concerns about Bookport

  • From: "LARRY SKUTCHAN" <lskutchan@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 15:07:41 -0500

Those are all good ideas, and we will look into them.  We actually
already have plans for the file move feature.

Unfortunately, our agreement with the speech synthesizer manufacturer
prevents us from us treating it as an external synthesizer.

We are moving toward supporting Linux.  I wish it could happen faster.

>>> tspivey@xxxxxxxxxx Tuesday, February 22, 2005 12:46:06 AM >>>
I have a few ideas and questions I want to pass along. I've only been
using BP for a day, and find it useful.

1. Settings keypad. Everything but the File Locked and Automatic File
Advancement have a pause between the name and the value.
Can this be fixed? Doesn't seem like a major issue.

2. The braille keyboard should be able to create folders. Also, I
would
like a way to delete them, and move files.

3. A bit of clarification in the prompts. for example,  delete the
only
memo in the folder. You'll hear the no files prompt, without any
indication that you can get back to the \ folder.  For a new user,
this
might be troublesome. I think that the 8 (status) key should speak the
name of the current folder in idle mode, and your current file, with
how
many it contains. for example.
"folder: test, file: test.txt, 3 of 5."
What do you guys think of this idea?

I really would like the format of the files that the BP's transfer
program  sends to be published. It's frustrating not to be able to
send
files using Linux, having to switch to Windows every time I want to
transfer something.

What is APH's stand on BP as an external synthesizer? I think it has
been discussed on this list before, but I'm not sure what there final
standing is, or if it will be implemented.