[bookport] Re: I wasn't impressed.

  • From: "PAMELA RADER" <PRADER@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 13:46:59 -0500

We will continue to support the old one or current Book Port until parts
run out.  We can't make anymore changes to this one, because we've
reached the limit on what we can do to it and parts are either being
obsoleted or too expensive to obtain and would raise the price.

The reason for the Design Change on the battery is that the new Book
Port will be thinner and regular batteries won't fit into it.

Pamela Rader, TECHNICAL SUPPORT
American Printing House For The Blind
1839 Frankfort Ave.
Louisville, KY  40206

PHONE:  1-800-223-1839, Ext. 307

>>> rustys.lists@xxxxxxxxx 03/14/07 11:25AM >>>
I didn't hear any commentary about how long they would support it,
just that they would. The deal with APH is that they don't do all the
fixes themselves.
When I had to get the USB plug fixed on mine they had to send it back
to Springer I'm guessing. It wasn't cheap either! I think they
replaced the board $125.00
I got the idea that, though there are changes, there are many things
about the bookport which will be the same. Lary mentioned that the
footprint is the same size, same keypad. Same speech chip. they're
choosing a special battery because, Lary said, it works best with
bookport. It seems like they may be using some of the same internal
architecture. I don't know that to be the case, but it seems like
they're sooping up the old BP with things which can be taken advantage
of in the future.As I understand it, they've run out of internal
memory for firmware on BP 1. That seems like something which they're
working on. It seems like SD is being used because CF is getting more
expensive.

So, it seems like they're taking a good thing and just making it
better, not redesigning it from the ground up.

Rusty

On 3/14/07, Robert Acosta <boacosta@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> But how long will APH support Bookport 1?  I understood that they
would do
> so as long as they had the parts.  Am I correct here?
> Robert Acosta

3/12/2007